Friday 1 April 2011

Reviving An Old Love

With my recent other "obsessions", I have somewhat neglected my photography. The topic for the March Shwanda challenge was "Still Life". The shot below was my rather poor entry. I say poor as it was along side a whole host of very impressive shots.


I have to be honest and admit that I found the topic tedious and "artificial". Yes, I do realise that the whole point is for deliberate arrangement to enhance a specific feature and to control the environment to reach a desired effect. However, I feel that great photography is about being able to capture moments in life, whether it be an object, a person, or a landscape. In other words, it is about capturing things as they are. I was sorely disappointed the other day, when a colleague pointed out that many photographs which I thought were amazing had all been photo-shopped. Perhaps I am being too naive. I have nothing against photoshop. In fact, I love that program!

Anyway I digress! My point was that I was so terribly short-sighted. As a result of my dislike for the topic, I just did not open myself to the endless creative possibilities that were our there. I was so impressed by the all the other entries and it wasn't long before I had to come to the harsh realisation that I really knew nothing about controlling light or studio photography. I do regret not finding the time to use the flash unit that I had purchased and having the rather defeatist attittude of dumping the whole thing in to the "too hard" basket. It is so unlike me! I am glad that I am participating in the challenge. It keeps me honest about my shortcomings. There is so much more for me to learn in order to improve my photography as a whole.

So...photography is back on top. Besides, I need good images to scrap book! I just need to be more organised and find a few extra hours in the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment